Saturday, May 31, 2014


The person I sent this piece to should be getting soon(like today!). So this post will be up when she gets it. I did this piece a while back. Originally this started off as something for Anything But A Card Challenge blog. But I didn't like how it was going. So I scrapped it for the challenge and did something else for ABAC.

This was a DVD tin case that I got at an estate sale around this time last year. I thought it would be fun to alter. Even though the front was embossed a bit. When I got it home I did glue down some napkins to the case, so when I went to put paint or whatever on it the paint wouldn't scratch off from the metal. I also added some lace to give it more texture. Then it say around for a while.

Then months later I picked the case up again. Like I said this was originally going to be for ABAC I think back in March (Its been a while. LOL) My original plan was to put a mini inside the tin. The Mini Treasure mini album from Kathy Orta's book was the perfect size to put inside the tin. So I made the album. and then went to work on the tin. As I was working on the case I as not feeling the colors at all. I was using browns and bronze and a little blue. The vintage look is not my thing at all, though I do like the metallics.

So with me not feeling what was going on with the piece I did what anyone else would do. I painted over it. and change the whole look and feel to it. And I change what I was going to do inside of the tin. A mini doesn't  fit anymore.

I painted over the thin with purple craft paint. I added some sprays for dripage. and some more paint. I took some punchenilla and used some molding paste, for some more texture. I added some more antique bronze distress stain to it.

I put that to the side and painted wood embellishments by Prima. I painted them black. Set them aside to dry. Then took some Wild Orchid crafts flowers and sprayed them with Dylusions Crushed Grape, and After Midnight. I also used Heidi Swap Color Shine in Tinsel and Bronze. Set those to dry and went back to the tin. It needed something. So I added some Grapz Pure Glitz by Ranger. I even added some to the words.  After everything was completely dried, I glued everything down. The wood pieces with Alieen's tacky and the flowers with hot glue gun. In hindsight I should of glued the flowers After I did the inside, but oh well! LOL

So for the inside, I cut down 2 sheets of decorative paper to fit both sides of the tin. I don't remember off hand what I used to attach the papers to the tin. I know I said it in my youtube video on this. It was either Miracle Tape or wet glue. The papers are bt TCP Studio. Then I stamped out 2 Julie Nutting girls on the Buff paper pad. and I dressed them from the scraps of the papers I used. I painted their hair and shoes with Neo Color 2's

On this side I added a clock which is antique mirror sticker from Prima. I stamped some donuts (stamp is by stamps by Judith) colored them with color pencils. The font is one I found online. 

This side I took the metal phone that was bronze and painted it pewter with the pewter distress stain. (I wanted to use this for the old Hollywood doll case I made for my cousin, but it was too heavy) With hot glue and glossy accents I glue that baby down. I hot glued 3 Wild Orchid flowers next to the phone.Added more donuts and another sentiment and a girl to that side. The sentiments I added were found on the internet. Thanks Google! :)

1 comment:

Margaret said...

This is awesome!I love the cover and the inside is so fun! I love those old Dunkin' Donuts commercials...

Love the tip on gluing a napkin to the metal so the paint will stick!